Tokayev took part in session of CSTO Collective Security Council
A session of the Collective Security Council of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO) was held in Bishkek, Strategy2050.kz reports with reference to the press service of Akorda.
President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, President of Belarus Aleksandr Lukashenko, President of Kyrgyzstan Sooronbay Jeenbekov, President of Russia Vladimir Putin, President of Tajikistan Emomali Rahmon, Prime Minister of Armenia Nikol Pashinyan and Acting Secretary General of the CSTO Valery Semerikov had a closed-door meeting, after which the negotiations continued in an enlarged format.
The Heads of State exchanged views on international and regional security issues, summed up the implementation of the Organization's priority areas of activity in the past year, and set plans for the coming period.
Kassym-Jomart Tokayev informed his colleagues about the position of Kazakhstan on pressing issues of interaction between the participating states.
“We intend to develop political cooperation within the CSTO framework, strengthen the military-force potential of the Organization and counteract modern challenges and threats”, the President emphasized.
Having noted the need to increase the political dialogue in the field of international security, the Head of State paid attention to the CSTO’s responsibility for ensuring the security of the territory located in the center of Eurasia. In his opinion, the Organization could take a more active position, linking Europe and Asia into a single Eurasian security platform.
To achieve this goal, Kassym-Jomart Tokayev proposed to consider a number of tasks. In particular, he pointed out the need to work on the international reputation of the CSTO.
“We are not opposing anyone, but on the contrary, we are ready for a mutually beneficial dialogue. This principle is important to promote”, the President of Kazakhstan said.
In this context, the Head of State recalled the importance of the CSTO’s Foreign Ministers' Open Address adopted in May this year to counterparties from NATO, which related to the strengthening of mutual trust and the development of cooperation.
Kassym-Jomart Tokayev noted the importance of the further development of the CSTO Partner and Observer institutions, the decision on the creation of which was made last year in the capital of Kazakhstan. In his opinion, the first results of the activities of these institutions are already noticeable. The President also called for building up expert-dialogue infrastructure around the CSTO.
According to the Head of State, it is advisable to think about organizing an international conference at the level of ministers, secretaries of the Security Councils, major experts and foreign guests at one of the next sessions of the Collective Security Council.
As an example, Kassym-Jomart Tokayev cited the Munich Conference, which, in his opinion, was originally conceived as an informal meeting of representatives of the defense departments of NATO countries, and is now an authoritative forum for discussing the most pressing security problems in Europe.
The speech raised the issue of countering terrorism in the CSTO area of responsibility, in particular in Afghanistan.
“The authorities today control only a little more than half of the country's territory, where 65% of the population lives. The rest of Afghanistan is controlled by terrorist organizations. Having such a source of threats from the south, the Collective Security Treaty Organization is urgently required to keep in tune the forces and means to combat international terrorism and other threats”, the President of Kazakhstan said.
The Head of State informed the Summit’s participants about the results of the Jusan special humanitarian operation, during which Kazakhstan evacuated from Syria its 595 citizens, including more than 400 children.
The President said about a group of children that had been recently evacuated from Iraq.
Kassym-Jomart Tokayev also drew attention to the issues of combating drug trafficking and strengthening cooperation in the field of information and cybersecurity.
Concluding his speech, the Head of the Kazakh delegation thanked Sooronbay Jeenbekov for the serious successes of the Kyrgyz chairmanship in the CSTO, and also congratulated the Russian colleagues on assuming the chairmanship of the Organization.
Following the Summit, the leaders of the CSTO member states adopted a political statement on improving international interaction and cooperation in order to strengthen global and regional security.
The documents signed in Bishkek are aimed at further development of cooperation within the framework of the CSTO. They demonstrate the openness of the Organization and its positive attitude towards expanding cooperation with other countries and international structures.
As a result of the session of the CSTO Collective Security Council, 17 documents were signed, including a Statement on improving international cooperation and cooperation in order to strengthen global and regional security and 14 decisions of the Collective Security Council:
1. “On the Action Plan for the celebration of the 75th anniversary of the Victory in the Great Patriotic war of 1941-1945”;
2. “On amendments to the regulatory legal acts of the Collective Security Treaty Organization”;
3. “On amendments to the Regulation on the Collective Security Council of the Collective Security Treaty Organization”;
4. “On amendments to the Rules of Procedure of the bodies of the Collective Security Treaty Organization”;
5. “On the Collective Action Plan of the Member States of the Collective Security Treaty Organization for the implementation of the UN Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy for 2019–2021”;
6. “On the List of additional measures aimed at reducing tensions in the Tajik-Afghan border”;
7. “On the basic organization in the field of the development of cooperative and integration relations of enterprises and organizations of the military-industrial complexes of the member states of the Collective Security Treaty Organization”;
8. “On the Regulation on the organization and conduct of joint research and development work within the framework of the Collective Security Treaty Organization”;
9. “On Amending the Regulation on the Operation of the Permanent Operation of the Member States of the Collective Security Treaty Organization to Combat Crimes in the Field of Information Technologies (Operation PROXY)”;
10. “On Amending the Regulation on the Council of Ministers of Defense of the Collective Security Treaty Organization”;
11. “On the Report on the Implementation of the Budget of the Collective Security Treaty Organization for 2018”;
12. “On the Budget of the Collective Security Treaty Organization for 2020”;
13. “On the awards of the Collective Security Treaty Organization”;
14. “On the Chairmanship of the Organization, the time and place of the next session of the Collective Security Council of the Collective Security Treaty Organization”.
Other documents on the functioning of the CSTO collective security system were also adopted.
Baiterek Holding intensifies cooperation with German companies
06 December 2019, 17:46
International Committee of the Red Cross welcomes Kazakh children’s return from Iraq
06 December 2019, 16:51
Kazakh President meets with Munich Security Conference Chairman Wolfgang Ischinger
06 December 2019, 15:54
Maslikhat’s powers have expanded - Zeinulla Shibkenov
06 December 2019, 15:35
Dariga Nazarbayeva names four priorities of Kazakh Government’s work
06 December 2019, 14:43
Kazakhstan seen rise in petroleum and diesel production
06 December 2019, 12:57
President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev addressed top German companies
06 December 2019, 11:44
Kazakh PM launched new projects in Turkistan
06 December 2019, 11:34
Kazakh President arrives in Germany
05 December 2019, 17:44
Kazakh Ambassador to Latvia attended a meeting with State Secretary of Latvia’s Foreign Ministry
05 December 2019, 17:03
Askar Mamin gives a start to production of textiles and food in Shymkent and Turkistan rgn
05 December 2019, 16:21
Washington hosted meeting on Kazakhstan-US enhanced strategic partnership
05 December 2019, 12:39
Kazakh Industry and Infrastructural Development Ministry focuses on reducing costs of air tickets
05 December 2019, 11:47
Dariga Nazarbayeva attended the Melodies of Magic charity festival
05 December 2019, 10:43
Kazakh PM chaired meeting of National Qualifications Council
05 December 2019, 09:39